Saturday 10 March 2012

A laptop that works at last!

He turned up on time, ran through his well rehearsed patter and I'm logged on to Windows 7 within a few minutes. Simplicity itself.  Every single IT plumbing component has been redesigned and replaced for this moment. How many human hours have gone into this? We've yet to count them.  For once though, this upgrade is worth the effort.  I now have the core of the modern working environment I've craved since I left the corporate world 11 years ago. I can move seamlessly around from wired to wireless. I can see all my Z drive documents and data wherever I am, update them offline and watch them synchronise back with central storage when I next connect. Everything's encrypted. The 'Programme Installer' is beautifully easy to use and gives me a huge range of apps that can be installed on demand.  Many of these are cached locally so they can be used anywhere so this isn't just a box for running MS Office. Even the email experience is great.  Good to have the full client and to be able to work offline - again with seamless synchronisation.

Well done team ITS!  This is a winner!

Now.  I wonder if we can convince a few folks to try a bit of instant messaging and web conferencing before 2012 is out? Then I really will have made it back to the year 2000.

1 comment:

  1. "I wonder if we can convince a few folks to try a bit of instant messaging and web conferencing before 2012 is out?"
    Some of us already are Mary. Join us:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/107962914038670635598/

    ReplyDelete